Wednesday 4 February 2009

I love snow but not in Cornwall

The snow has gone around here, which is a relief really. The fresh snow is beautiful and exciting, full of possibilities of getting very thick, us being cut off etc etc. But in Cornwall snowfall invariably turns to a revolting grey mush very quickly, the ground becomes sodden and the roads are a nightmare!

This is all because Cornwall is surrounded by a warm sea and any visitations of cold continental air are usually fleeting, long enough to cause quite heavy falls of wet snow which causes chaos because nobody is expecting it and no one has any real experience of dealing with snow. Result? The whole county grinds to halt.

I find that cold often damp air between about 0 degrees C and 9 degrees C which is what we get a lot of in Cornwall is far more unpleasant to work in as I get damp and miserable than when it is really cold at around -4 to -8 degrees C. If it is dry then once I have warmed up in my winter clothes I am snug and comfortable.

For me, winter weather in Cornwall is best with a temperature of about 10 degrees C. If it is wet I dont get horribly chilled and the sheets of winter rain have an exciting charm and atmosphere. If it is dry it can be very pleasant with a lovely early spring feeling.

I spent my childhood in the south east and can remember some wonderful snow. Very cold and dry with a siege like atmosphere. Indoors very cosy with candles and warm drinks and toasted sandwiches to keep warm. Wonderful winter scenery with icicles everywhere. One memory is of the musical tinkle of a thousand icicles hanging from tree branches being played by the wind.

So I am glad the snow is gone here and I look forward to some real cold snow one day in the right place!

No comments:

Post a Comment